[FFmpeg-user] Trouble capturing speaker audio with video on Ubuntu 20.04

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 14:51:20 EET 2021

On Thu, 25 Feb 2021 07:41:40 +0100, Bo Berglund <bo.berglund at gmail.com> wrote:

>Question:
>Is there some comparable driver available for Ubuntu 20.04?

I got a reply on the Lazarus programming forum, which suggests to using the app
pavucontrol (sudo apt install pavucontrol).

See here:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/682144/capturing-only-desktop-audio-with-ffmpeg

With the step-by-step instructions in the askubuntu post I could make the audio
from the speaker output available for recording using ffmpeg.

The problem here is that I have no idea what exactly pavucontrol did to my
system, because it states that when one uses the app it saves the settings so
next time I use ffmpeg it will again work.
It would be interesting to see exactly what in the system is changed for it to
start working.

I am making notes on how to set this up and it is a bit disappointing that the
solution is not transparent...

In my previous Windows experience of the same problem, the installation of the
"driver" resulted in a new device being recognized by ffmpeg using the normal
tools and then I could enter it into the ffmpeg command line and understand what
it was doing.
Not so in this case, but happy that I am getting proper audio finally! ;-)

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden