[FFmpeg-user] What the 'fps' video filter does. [was: Re: Matroska (.mkv) time resolution [was: Re: How can I force a 360kHz time base? ] ]

Jim DeLaHunt list+ffmpeg-user at jdlh.com
Sat Feb 27 18:46:10 EET 2021

On 2021-02-27 01:45, Mark Filipak (ffmpeg) wrote:

> I thought that 'fps' just changes the 'frame_rate_code' metadata.

Not at all. Read [1] for part of the story of what the `fps` video
filter actually does: "Convert the video to specified constant frame
rate by duplicating or dropping frames as necessary.…"

Read [2] for more of the story: "Make a new video from the frames and
presentation time stamps (PTSs) of the input. The new video has a
specified constant frame rate, and new PTSs. It generally keeps frames
from the old video, but might repeat or drop some frames. You can choose
the method for rounding from input PTS to output PTS. This affects which
frames fps keeps, repeats, or drops.…"

[1] http://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-all.html#fps-1

[2] http://blog.jdlh.com/en/2020/04/30/ffmpeg-fps-documented/

Best regards,