[FFmpeg-user] Seeking smart decomb filter

Mark Filipak (ffmpeg) markfilipak at bog.us
Thu Jan 21 14:48:38 EET 2021

On 01/21/2021 07:31 AM, Paul B Mahol wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 12:51 PM Mark Filipak (ffmpeg) <markfilipak at bog.us>
> wrote:
>
>> On 01/20/2021 04:50 PM, Paul B Mahol wrote:
>>> On Wed, Jan 20, 2021 at 10:45 PM Mark Filipak (ffmpeg) <
>> markfilipak at bog.us>

>>> Have you tried nnedi or estdif filters? Both are intra only
>> deinterlacers.
>>
>> Thank you for the guidance. I'm trying estdif first because it seems
>> simpler, but it doesn't do the
>> good thing. It does decomb very effectively, but it does it by aligning
>> (shifting) the edges in
>> field'2' to the edges in field'1' (which are not shifted). Aligning with
>> field'1' produces judder
>> (or in my case, doesn't eliminate judder). What I want it to do is align
>> both field'1' edges and
>> field'2' edges to the median (i.e. half way between the input's edges). I
>> do realize that such a
>> method would introduce combing along the edges of the frame, but that's
>> okay.
>>
>> Here's the command I used to transcode 24FPS to 60FPS:
>> ffmpeg -i 24[1][2].mkv -map 0 -filter_complex "telecine=pattern=5,
>> split[1][2],
>> [1]select=not(eq(mod(n\,5)\,2))[3], [2]select=eq(mod(n\,5)\,2),
>> estdif=mode=frame[4],
>> [3][4]interleave" -codec:v libx265 -x265-params "crf=16:qcomp=0.60"
>> -codec:a copy -codec:s copy
>> 24[1][2]-to-60[1][1][estdif=mode=frame(1~2)][2][2].mkv
>>
>> I'll try nnedi. Perhaps I can figure it out.
>>

> Do not even try.
> Mentioned filters work only with interlaced frames, while your use case is
> completely invalid and frowned upon.
> I deeply regret replying to this thread.

I did get nnedi to work but with similar results to estdif.

Kindly educate me: What do you mean by "interlaced frames"? Aren't all frames that come out of the
decoder and into the filter chain interlaced?

Why do you say that my use case is invalid? telecine=pattern=5 works very well -- there's no judder
at all! And if, for the combed frame, I use pp=linblenddeint, it's even better, far better than what
either the NVIDIA GPU or the TV does when fed a 24FPS source and of course far, far better than
telecine=pattern=23.

Please educate me. Why are my stunning results invalid?

Regards,
Mark.