[FFmpeg-user] Seeking smart decomb filter

Mark Filipak (ffmpeg) markfilipak at bog.us
Thu Jan 21 15:55:01 EET 2021

On 01/21/2021 07:53 AM, Paul B Mahol wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 1:31 PM Paul B Mahol <onemda at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 12:51 PM Mark Filipak (ffmpeg) <markfilipak at bog.us>
>> wrote:
>>> markfilipak at bog.us>

>>> deinterlacers.
>>>
>>> Thank you for the guidance. I'm trying estdif first because it seems
>>> simpler, but it doesn't do the
>>> good thing. It does decomb very effectively, but it does it by aligning
>>> (shifting) the edges in
>>> field'2' to the edges in field'1' (which are not shifted). Aligning with
>>> field'1' produces judder
>>> (or in my case, doesn't eliminate judder). What I want it to do is align
>>> both field'1' edges and
>>> field'2' edges to the median (i.e. half way between the input's edges). I
>>> do realize that such a
>>> method would introduce combing along the edges of the frame, but that's
>>> okay.
>>>
>>> Here's the command I used to transcode 24FPS to 60FPS:
>>> ffmpeg -i 24[1][2].mkv -map 0 -filter_complex "telecine=pattern=5,
>>> split[1][2],
>>> [1]select=not(eq(mod(n\,5)\,2))[3], [2]select=eq(mod(n\,5)\,2),
>>> estdif=mode=frame[4],
>>> [3][4]interleave" -codec:v libx265 -x265-params "crf=16:qcomp=0.60"
>>> -codec:a copy -codec:s copy
>>> 24[1][2]-to-60[1][1][estdif=mode=frame(1~2)][2][2].mkv
>>>
>>> I'll try nnedi. Perhaps I can figure it out.
>>>

>> Do not even try.
>> Mentioned filters work only with interlaced frames, while your use case is
>> completely invalid and frowned upon.
>> I deeply regret replying to this thread.
>>

> Also, the only way to "invent" new frames is to use either motion
> interpolation via optical flow or via blocks interpolation like with
> minterpolate filter.

There was some reason why I didn't try minterpolate but I can't recall what it was. I will give it a
try. I assume I don't need to use '-filter_complex' or 'select'. Just something like '-vf
minterpolate=fps=60000/1001:mi_mode=blend' for the 1st try.

Do you have any insight about minterpolate you'd care to share?

Thanks,
Mark.