[FFmpeg-user] Modify i frame placement in videos

Nicolas George george at nsup.org
Wed Jul 14 18:01:57 EEST 2021

Jaeho Bang (12021-07-14):
> I was wondering if there is a way in ffmpeg to convert I frames to P frames.

Why?

> I would like to convert the I frame at 200 to a P frame, so as a result we
> have 4 I frames.

Why?

While it makes sense to want an I-frame instead of a P-frame, because
there are things you can do with an I-frame that you cannot with a
P-frame, the symmetric does not apply: an I-frame is functionally a
P-frame, just one that only has new blocks.

So, before you ask how to do it, you need to explain, possibly to
yourself, why you think you need to do it.

Odds are you will realize your exact need is somewhat different.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George