[FFmpeg-user] I am a new ffmpeg user...

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 20:39:07 EET 2021

On Wed, 10 Mar 2021 21:30:20 -0500, Barry Smith <bnsmith002 at gmail.com> wrote:

>Can I get some hints on makimg Windows do some of the work that it was
>built to do out-of-the-box? some standard environment variables to use
>when executing? Something?

For Windows 10:

- Extract the files into *any* folder of your liking, C:\ffmpeg seems a good
candidate
- Open ControlPanel/System
- Click Advanced System Settings in the left column
- Click "Environment Variables" at the bottom
- In the bottom panel select the item "path" and hit button Edit
- Click button "New"
- Type in C:\ffmpeg into the box (the location of the binaries)
- OK out

Now the dir you entered is added to the Windows path and whatever binary is
inside will be found.

NOTE:
I only take your word for where the binary files land when you extract the
archive. If there is a bin dir or similar in the exttracted dir then that is
probably the dir you want to add as described.

And to second Mark Filipak's response:
I also recommend Handbrake to do format conversions and the like using a GUI.

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden