[FFmpeg-user] Recorded Frame Timestamps are Inconsistent! How to Fix it?

Mark Filipak (ffmpeg) markfilipak at bog.us
Mon Mar 22 00:28:03 EET 2021

On 2021-03-21 17:50, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> Am So., 21. März 2021 um 22:13 Uhr schrieb Mark Filipak (ffmpeg)
> <markfilipak at bog.us>:
>
>> I think '-framerate 60' may not be needed at all.
>
> It is only needed if 60fps recording is wanted.
>
> As said before, setpts should generally be avoided and
> this is even more true for settb.

Serious questions:

'setpts=N/FR/TB' seems to be reliable, and is the only way I've gotten some of my frame gymnastics
to work. What is wrong/dangerous about 'setpts"?
Note: I'm aware that frames can be out-of-order for some input streams (e.g. mpeg2video) but they
seem to be in-order in the frame pipeline. Is there some reason to *not* take advantage of that?

'settb=expr=1/720000' seems to be pretty useful for improving the timing resolution of the filter
pipeline. Why do you think it should be avoided?

Regards, and Much Thanks,
Mark.