[FFmpeg-user] How to detect commercials in recorded TV stream?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Sat Mar 27 09:15:23 EET 2021

I am using ffmpeg in scripts to download from a live stream TV channel nightly
so I can view the shows in the morning.

To remove the commercials I have written a video editing program with which I
can scan through a video and put markers for sections to keep, then finally use
these markers to have ffmpeg extract the "good" sections into a final
commercial-free video to watch.

But even though I have speed buttons to jump around in the video while finding
the start and end positions of the commercials it gets tedious to do manually...

So I wonder if there is any function in ffmpeg I can use to extract scene change
points which I can then use when setting the cut points?

I figure if I have a list of suggested points I could load that into my program
and quickly verify if they are OK or not by jumping among them.

But the big question is really how to make ffmpeg find the change points?

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden