[FFmpeg-user] Cutting out part of a video does not work

Peter White peter.white at posteo.net
Sat Mar 27 10:54:36 EET 2021

On Sat, Mar 27, 2021 at 09:39:38AM +0100, Cecil Westerhof via ffmpeg-user wrote:
> Bo Berglund <bo.berglund at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Worth a check of your computer.
> > It should be able to run at 100% CPU for quite a while in normal surroundings
> > (if the air flow is not obstructed, please check the inlets on the underside of
> > the laptop).
>
> Running ffmpeg with 100% CPU is not a problem. But running mpv with
> 60% CPU is. I find this quit weird.

That is quite unusual. Are you by any chance using hardware acceleration
in mpv? 60% CPU tells me, the answer is probably no, but maybe it is yes
and can explain overheating because GPU usage is not prominently
reported, so you might not see that the actual heat is caused by a busy
GPU not the CPU.

Anyway, overheating and shutdown because of it definitely points to a
problem in your cooling. But this is out of scope for this mailing list,
I guess, since it is unrelated to ffmpeg.

Cheers,
Peter