[FFmpeg-user] Errors in swscaler or broken video

WR wolle321 at freenet.de
Wed May 12 09:38:58 EEST 2021

Am 08.05.2021 um 10:58 schrieb WR:
> Hello community,
>
> since some days I experience errormessages in ffplay:
> (ffplay version 4.2.4-1ubuntu0.1 )
>
> [swscaler @ 0x55c6a680c880] 82x0 -> 82x0 is invalid scaling dimension
> Cannot initialize the conversion context
> [swscaler @ 0x55c6a680c880] 82x0 -> 82x0 is invalid scaling dimension
> Cannot initialize the conversion context
> [swscaler @ 0x55c6a680c880] 82x0 -> 82x0 is invalid scaling dimension
> Cannot initialize the conversion context
> [swscaler @ 0x55c6a680c880] 82x0 -> 82x0 is invalid scaling dimension
> Cannot initialize the conversion context
> [swscaler @ 0x55c6a680c880] 82x0 -> 82x0 is invalid scaling dimension
> Cannot initialize the conversion context
> [swscaler @ 0x55c6a680c880] 82x0 -> 82x0 is invalid scaling dimension
> Cannot initialize the conversion context
> [swscaler @ 0x55c6a680c880] 291x0 -> 291x0 is invalid scaling dimension
> Cannot initialize the conversion context
> [swscaler @ 0x55c6a680c880] 291x0 -> 291x0 is invalid scaling dimension
> Cannot initialize the conversion context
> [swscaler @ 0x55c6a680c880] 291x0 -> 291x0 is invalid scaling dimension
> Cannot initialize the conversion context
> [swscaler @ 0x55c6a680c880] 291x0 -> 291x0 is invalid scaling dimension
> Cannot initialize the conversion context
> [swscaler @ 0x55c6a680c880] 291x0 -> 291x0 is invalid scaling dimension
> Cannot initialize the conversion context
> [swscaler @ 0x55c6a680c880] 291x0 -> 291x0 is invalid scaling dimension
> Cannot initialize the conversion context
> [swscaler @ 0x55c6a680c880] 291x0 -> 291x0 is invalid scaling dimension
> Cannot initialize the conversion context
> [swscaler @ 0x55c6a680c880] 291x0 -> 291x0 is invalid scaling dimension
> Cannot initialize the conversion context
>
> The messages arise in chunks and while they arise video output is black.
> between the chunks, the video runs fine.
>
> It only happens, when I play a video, which I edited before with
> ffmpeg's crop-filter :
> -c:v libx264 -preset medium  -filter:v crop=iw-0-0:ih-72-74:0:72
>
> The source video comes from a DVD (from what I created a concat-file
> with dvd2concat-script from ffmpeg-sources)
>
> I do that to cut the black stripes on the top and at the bottom.
> When I don't use the crop filter, the result video runs fine in ffplay.
>
> The cropped video (which produces the error messages) runs fine in other
> players (vlc, parole). I also (for test) took it as input for another
> transcoding in ffmpeg -> no errors while processing (but again errors
> while playing this result)
>
> So my question is: can I be sure, that the cropped videofile is without
> scaling faults and only the ffplay has a problem while playing? Or is
> the cropped video really erroneous because the crop filter makes
> mistakes and all other players are a bit more "scaling problems friendly".
>
> I think this appeared since one of the last ubuntu updates, I can't
> remember such an effect in former times, but I use the crop filter since
> [...]

Hello Again,

I think I've got it. The problem is really a playback-problem. And it
has nothing to do with a software-update.
The reason is, that I learnt, how to save the subtitles from the DVD to
my videofile. And the combination of subtitlestreams and cropped video
stream is the reason of the swscaler-errors.
I believe that after cropping the video, and leaving the subtitles, as
they are, the bitmaps of the subtitles are to large to fit on the video.
When I switch off subtitles in ffplay, errors and black screen gaps
don't occure.
Maybe, there is a way, to scale the subtitles in that way, that they
would fit the videos size.
Please correct me, if I'm wrong.

Thank you, RockfordC64

--