[FFmpeg-user] Can I set a "wait-timeout" for ffmpeg to not abort a stream download?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 20:50:27 EET 2021

On Mon, 15 Nov 2021 04:35:50 +0000, Carl Zwanzig <cpz at tuunq.com> wrote:

>On 11/14/2021 10:56 PM, Bo Berglund wrote:
>>> That would be answered if the original post contained the complete command
>>> output...
>>>
>> Here you go (even though I was asking for the existence of an ffmpeg argument to
>> tell it to wait out the set -t time rather than aborting if there is a pause in
>> the stream).
>>
>> ffmpeg -hide_banner -referer"https://wwwwwwwww.com/yyyy.html"  -i
>> "https://xxxxxxxx.org/2fwljiCVp2jdxA63hnS-ng==,1636958338/LS-ATL-54548-10/index.m3u8"
>> -vf scale=w=-4:h=480 -c:v libx264 -preset fast -crf 26 -c:a copy -t 7680
>> input22.mp4
>
> Although it answers the tcp/udp question, that's the -command-, not the
> complete output. Please read the list FAQ-
> https://ffmpeg.org/mailing-list-faq.html

I don't really understand why I would need to collect the "complete output"
since I am not asking about *how or why* ffmpeg failed, what I asked is if there
is an argument to ffmpeg, which will force the -t video time to be observed
intstead of ffmpeg aborting when the stream pauses its streaming.

I cannot dig out such information anyway since it is hidden below several levels
of at command handling and scripts calling other scripts. It all happens in an
at job container...

But I think I have received a valid answer, which was "no". <== Good enough!

So ffmpeg cannot do it.

I will now have to go from there and tighten up the core script so it will
itself check what is the cause of the ffmpeg stop if it stops too early.
And then relaunch itself with a different -t value and possibly also a new m3u8
URL, when such reappears.
In fact I do have this in some scripts, but it is a 1-level thing only and it
works only if the stream is back in 60 seconds using the same URL.
Just a delay and a re-launch of ffmpeg.

Now I need to do a while loop waiting for the stream to re-appear and check the
URL too.

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden