[FFmpeg-user] ffplay/ ffmpeg audio channels

owen s owen94012 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 22:49:06 EEST 2021

I have an issue, I have basic asoundrc that looks like the one below.

When I play a 5.1 audio file in ffplay I see an error;
SDL_OpenAudio (6 Channels, 48000 Hz): ALSA: Couldn't open audio device: No
such file or directory
SDL_OpenAudio (4 Channels, 48000 Hz): ALSA: Couldn't open audio device: No
such file or directory

Then the audio is of course very low. I did a series of tests and the
hardware device 0,7 is the only one that will play audio.

Is there any way that I can force ffmpeg/ ffplay to use this device? Or any
other recommendations?

pcm.!default {
        type plug
        slave.pcm "mixer"