[FFmpeg-user] Noise in audio stream during quiet periods

Paul B Mahol onemda at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 14:01:00 EET 2022

On Sun, Feb 20, 2022 at 12:33 PM Julian Pilfold-Bagwell <
julian.pilfoldbagwell at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for getting back.  I was trying to insert a flag for noise reduction
> into the command above but it always seemed to crash the moment I ran it.
> Part of my question is what the correct format would be.

What flag? There is numerous examples on web how to use several audio
ffmpeg filters.

Like agate, afftdn, afwtdn, anlmdn, arnndn, anlms, anlmf.

agate audio filter is recommended if you are extreme novice to ffmpeg.

For example one possible invocation, of myriad possible combinations is:

/usr/bin/ffmpeg -f alsa -i hw:0,0 -af agate=threshold=-40dB -acodec
libmp3lame -ab 128k -ac 1 -content_type audio/mpeg -f mp3
icecast://source:<password-removed>@172.20.0.75:8000/tannoy

agate audio filter is there because it have very little latency and is very
fast, but not much useful than just filtering out only when background
noise is present and of certain signal to noise ratio.

so threshold argument can be changed to actual dB of your background noise
typically captured.