[FFmpeg-user] How to increase the resolution of video?

Mark Filipak markfilipak.noreply at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 00:52:07 EET 2022

On 2022-02-21 09:25, Stephen Liu via ffmpeg-user wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have video captured on V8 tapes in about 1990.  They are low resolution video.  Recently I sent the tape to a profession shop ripping them on DVD.  I have ripped the DVD to computer as .VOB files.  On the whole their quality is not so bad except those video taken in-door then the screen not very clear.
>
> I'm prepared converting them to .mp4 files and simultaneously increasing the resolution to 640x480 or to 1280x760 to check whether their quality can be improved?  The audio is excellent.
>
> Please advise what command line shall I run?  Thanks in advance.

I don't know whether VSR (video super-resolution,
https://openaccess.thecvf.com/content/CVPR2021/papers/Chan_BasicVSR_The_Search_for_Essential_Components_in_Video_Super-Resolution_and_CVPR_2021_paper.pdf)
has been implemented in FFmpeg. I'd sure like to know.

VSR appears to use some of the techniques of motion-vector interpolation, but to employ the
synthesized pictures to increase the apparent resolution of the existing pictures, instead. I
haven't determined whether that increase applies solely to the pictures in key frames or to all
pictures (contained in B & P frames, also) in a processing/filter chain.

Regards,
Mark Filipak.