[FFmpeg-user] using multiple instances of ffmpeg

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at shikadi.net
Tue Jan 4 02:49:37 EET 2022

> I wanted to know if any of you have had success using multiple
> instances of ffmpeg to connect to separate multi-cast or uni-cast
> audio/video streams simultaneously?

Yes, I have multiple Raspberry Pi devices each streaming 1-2 multicast
H264 streams.  I then have a machine that uses multiple ffplay
instances to view all the streams at the same time (tiled across two
monitors), and another machine that uses ffmpeg to capture all the
streams and record them to disk.

I originally was using IPv6 multicast, but had to return back to IPv4
because there is an old Cisco switch in the middle of my network that
does not support MLD snooping properly, so I either get the multicast
streams forwarded to every device (even if it does not want the stream)
swamping them with too much traffic, or IPv6 breaks completely because
neighbour-discovery messages are not forwarded.  But going back to IPv4
with IGMP snooping works well.  Once I eventually upgrade that switch
I'll go back to IPv6 again.

Cheers,
Adam.