[FFmpeg-user] Can MJPEG be live streamed without transcoding?

Gyan Doshi ffmpeg at gyani.pro
Sun Jan 9 15:42:47 EET 2022

On 2022-01-09 03:36 pm, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> Am Sa., 8. Jan. 2022 um 07:54 Uhr schrieb Adam Nielsen via ffmpeg-user
> <ffmpeg-user at ffmpeg.org>:
>
>>    [mpegts @ 0x6725d0] Stream 0, codec mjpeg, is muxed as a private data
>>    stream and may not be recognized upon reading.
> You cannot mux random data into mpegts, this is not a limitation of FFmpeg.

Well, one can. The muxer already doesn't reject any codec as the warning
shows.

> A small change to the FFmpeg source code probably makes possible what
> you want, but since the resulting stream does not conform to any
> specification, the developers will not do it.

I added an option -recast_ media to ffmpeg in 79ebdbb9b9
With this, the user can manually assign a decoder and process the
packets in such a stream.

e.g.

     ffmpeg -recast_media -c:0 mjpeg -iudp://[ff01:1::1]:5004 -map 0:v ...

Regards,
Gyan