[FFmpeg-user] An object oriented video notation

Jim DeLaHunt list+ffmpeg-user at jdlh.com
Mon Jan 31 10:31:10 EET 2022

On 2022-01-30 20:03, Mark Filipak (ffmpeg) wrote:

> During the past year, I've developed a set of true stream primitives
> that are object oriented (frames, pictures, ...), plus a notation to
> describe encodings and "mechanical" manipulations that are useful and
> that are fairly easy to read and understand. Can the notation be used
> as a frontend to FFmpeg? I don't know ...maybe.

You might also want to take a look at the architecture and concepts used
by GStreamer <https://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/>. It is an open source
a library for constructing graphs of media-handling components. I
imagine you and the GStreamer designers were trying to solve similar
problems. Looking at their design might be an indirect kind of feedback
on your thoughts.

> Writing the docs took a long time and lot of work. Is there any
> appetite here for them?

I imagine it did!  Writing good docs is hard. Especially if they also
have to be concise. Congratulations on this accomplishment.

I'm not up for speculative reading in this area, sorry. I am trying to
get projects done, and so I mostly read to figure out the path from
where I am to whereever "done" turns out to be.

Best regards,
       —Jim DeLaHunt