[FFmpeg-user] Hardware encoding with AV1 and FFmpeg

Dennis Mungai dmngaie at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 11:15:58 EEST 2022

On Tue, 5 Jul 2022 at 11:03, Benjamin Parham <behfarteam at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> Recently Intel released the new GPU series “Intel Arc” which supports
> hardware encoding of AV1. They claim its speed is 50 times faster than
> software encoding. I’d like to know if it is available on FFmpeg? If yes,
> how can we use it?
> I would appreciate your answer.
>
> Regards,
> Ben.

Hello there,

At the moment, what's available upstream, via libva 2.14+ is an encode
interface for AV1 targeting  capable GPUs such as Intel's Arctic Sound M
series.
See the release notes for libva 2.14 here
https://github.com/intel/libva/releases/tag/2.14.0
So far (to the best of my knowledge), no encoder wrapper for either VAAPI
or QSV exists for AV1 encoding yet.
You can expect these to follow shortly after the Arctic Sound M series GPUs
are launched, as Intel contributes heavily to these projects.

Warm regards,

Dennis.