[FFmpeg-user] hls playlist got wiped out when ffmpeg runs as systemd child process

Jonathan Baecker jonbae77 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 10 20:12:13 EEST 2022

Am 08.07.22 um 22:30 schrieb Reindl Harald:

> Am 08.07.22 um 18:16 schrieb Greg Oliver:
>> On Fri, Jul 8, 2022 at 5:25 AM jb <jonbae77 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello everybody,
>>>
>>> I have a control program which running as a systemd service. This
>>> program spawns ffmpeg and that is writing to a HLS playlist. I use this
>>> flags:
>>>
>>>      -hls_flags
>>> append_list+delete_segments+omit_endlist+program_date_time
>>>
>>> The interesting thing is, when I stop the systemd process my HLS
>>> playlist got wiped out and when I start the service again ffmpeg will
>>> not continue the playlist, instead it writes a new one.
>>>
>>> When I run my control program directly from shell, I don't have this
>>> behavior. I can stop the program and start it again and the HLS
>>> playlist
>>> will continue.
>>>
>>> Does anybody notice this different behaviors? And has an idea why this
>>> is happen and what I can do here?
>>>

>> systemd is not stateful - unless you create stateful files with your
>> exec{pre,post,start} stanzas, it will get overwritten every time
>
> "systemd is not stateful" means nothing on it's own
> stateful *for what*
>
> even "PrivateTmp" is *not* default enabled, but when you enable it and
> your application trie sto re-use files in /tmp they are gone

Thank you for your suggestions! PrivateTmp=no was not working, but I did
some more tests and figure out: the problem is related to the way
systemd stops child processes. When I run ffmpeg directly with systemd
the content from the m3u8 playlist survive, but when I start ffmpeg from
a bash script, or my control program, the content got deleted.