[FFmpeg-user] Average N frames of RTSP video for better snapshot quality?

Carl Zwanzig cpz at tuunq.com
Tue Mar 8 21:22:30 EET 2022

On 3/8/2022 10:09 AM, Steven Kan wrote:
> Is there a way to tell ffmpeg to collect N frames of video and output one
> single averaged image to improve the SNR? Even if there’s some wind, the
> flower stalk shouldn’t be moving much.

> and that results in N JPGs. I suppose I could have a second ffmpeg
> command that averages those 10 JPGs, but can this all be done in one
> pass?
Maybe, but why? First off, you won't still have the original images if you
decide to process it differently later. Second, it just makes for a more
complicated command and thus more prone to being wrong :).

There are places where doing a lot in a single pipeline makes sense,I don't
think this is one of them.

Later,

z!