[FFmpeg-user] FFMPEG loudnorm - linear normalization

Mark Filipak markfilipak.noreply at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 02:50:43 EET 2022

On 2022-03-09 15:12, CMG DiGiTaL wrote:

>> You cannot increase the volume of a file that is already near/at full scale
>>

>   ok Clayton,
>
> I understood everything you said... I mentioned the plugin, because I used
> it in some audio and it was really satisfactory,
> as it is an evaluation product, that is, it will lose its functions in a
> few days, I tried to make a batch to being able to use it,
> sporadically, in some music that I need to normalize.
>
> That's why I wanted to know where the plugin applies the gain it generates
> when analyzing the music, so that I can improve
> my batch file.
>
>>From your experience, the gain that the plugin generates and uses in the
> music, which in my batch reaches the maximum
> of -15.0 LUFS, is applied where to generate the -10 LUFS that the plugin
> can achieve?
>
> thanks

Two decades ago I was heavily involved in a music restoration project of live concert performances
(with the approval of the band). I used compression extensively. Most commercial recordings are
compressed, meaning: the peaks are made uniform without clipping, so volume is made uniform -- I'm
trying hard to not use the word "equalize" here because the word "equalization" is so misused.

Try compression. It's what the professionals use.

That said, I don't know what FFmpeg means by "compression". Is it what audio engineers mean by
"compression"? I don't know.