[FFmpeg-user] FFMPEG loudnorm - linear normalization

Clayton Macleod cherrytwist at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 09:13:56 EET 2022

On Wed, Mar 9, 2022 at 8:26 PM CMG DiGiTaL <cmarciog at gmail.com> wrote:

> OK mark, very nice to hear about your audio experience!...I love it, it
> makes me feel free and alive!
>
> With this internet audio standardization movement, I'm paying more
> attention to this type of LUFS standardization
> because my commercial jingles have to be platform compliant. I'm also a fan
> of compression and, as today everything
> has to be very fast, I'm creating a normalization batch so I don't have to
> spend unnecessary money on something that
> I can try to do myself, testing a lot beforehand of course!...for this
> reason I'm trying to understand where the +7.2 Trim
> that the plugin finds in the test audio is applied, to try to make the
> batch as correct as possible.

Claman, probably the best advice you could receive is some I've already
given.  Which is, perhaps you should reexamine your choice of target
volume.  If most or all of your source files require being turned up you
are better off using your volume knob on the amplifier.  Seriously.  There
is no better way to adjust the volume than that volume control on the
amplifier.  That is its sole reason for existing.

Perhaps you need a different tool.  If you're actually just dealing with
music files you should snag foobar2000 and use it for this job instead.  It
uses the same R128 algorithm.  It is made for dealing with music, being a
music player.  And you can load up your entire library and analyze it all
without having to adjust anything.  You will be able to see all your
required adjustments in the UI before touching your file data.  This will
let you see all the adjustment data at a glance, better allowing you to
determine what a good target value will be for your entire library.  A good
target value will be one that ensures all your file data will have to be
turned down rather than up.  For that matter, you can have the player make
the adjustments on the fly during playback so you don't even have to alter
your file data at all.  ffmpeg really isn't the right tool for this job.

--
Clayton Macleod
If no one comes from the future to stop you from doing it, then how bad of