[FFmpeg-user] Multiple parts of a video

Paul B Mahol onemda at gmail.com
Sun May 29 13:49:27 EEST 2022

On Sun, May 29, 2022 at 12:27 PM Cecil Westerhof <Cecil at decebal.nl> wrote:

> Paul B Mahol <onemda at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > On Sat, May 28, 2022 at 9:46 PM Cecil Westerhof via ffmpeg-user <
> ffmpeg-user at ffmpeg.org> wrote:
> >
> >  Paul B Mahol <onemda at gmail.com> writes:
> >
> >  > On Sat, May 28, 2022 at 4:28 PM Cecil Westerhof via ffmpeg-user <
> ffmpeg-user at ffmpeg.org> wrote:
> >  >
> >  >  When I just want to have a certain part of a video, I can do
> something
> >  >  like:
> >  >      ffmpeg -y -i input.MTS     \
> >  >             -ss 00:08           \
> >  >             -to 00:17           \
> >  >             -acodec copy        \
> >  >             -vcodec libx264     \
> >  >             -preset veryfast    \
> >  >             output.mp4
> >  >
> >  >  But what if I want several parts of a video in my video?
> >  >  Do I need to cut the different parts out of the video and concatenate
> >  >  them, or is it possible to do it with one command?
> >  >
> >  > Using concat filter.
> >
> >  That is exactly what I already know: cutting the different parts.
> >  Probably one command for each part and then concatenate them.
> >  So n + 1 commands.
> >  My question was: can it be done with one command?
> >
> > This IS ONE command with concat FILTER.
>
> I am going to ignore you. You do not read my question and when I say
> that your reply does not answer my question you double down to 'prove'
> you are right.
>
> Before I CAN USE concat I have the create the n cuts I need to put
> into the concat.

And that can be used already, just specify  -ss for all inputs you gonna
use.
So you create cuts with ffmpeg all into single commad. Note that -c:a(v)
copy does not work precisely with most of lossy codecs.
So best and precise cut can be done inside all of libavfilter, by using
(a)trim filters.

I'm really sorry if you gonna ignore my constructive help.

If you want to still use -c copy with lossy codecs, than you have opened a
can of worms.