[FFmpeg-user] fmp4 streaming issues

Robin van der Linden linden at venom.one
Tue Nov 22 02:32:31 EET 2022

Hello,

thanks for your time.
Well, I would love to use a single way of transportation. Currently, I
have to work with HLS and DASH side by side ...
SRT is not wanted at the moment. We have our own build script that also
builds all libs from source incl. svt-av1 which we heavily rely on.
Basically we put hevc, avc1 and av1 all into fragmented mp4.
I will try to integrate your patch asap, but for some reason it seems
(still testing) that when using byte-range requests this issue does not
come up.
At least not with the test stream provided by nuevodevel which is
basically VideoJS 7 here:
https://www.nuevodevel.com/nuevo/showcase/fmp4hls
The only difference to my stream seems to be the byte-range request
instead of pulling file based m4s segments.

I will report back.

Thanks so far,

Robin

Am 2022-11-21 23:00, schrieb Dave Blanchard:
>> I tried to find some more information onto this, but I'm not sure if
>> this might be the issue:
>>
>> https://patchwork.ffmpeg.org/project/ffmpeg/list/?series=1018
>>
>> Is somebody able to provide some more information onto these issues?
>> Why
>> aren't these changes already merged? Can I do this by my own, and if
>> so,
>> how?
>
> If you're on Linux, you can easily build your own patched ffmpeg.
>
> Although I'm using SRT now, in the event you or someone else is stuck
> with HLS, I went ahead and ported this patch to the current ffmpeg
> 5.1.2 source. It's attached to this email, along with a build script
> for ffmpeg. It compiles, and looks like it will work, but I haven't
> tested it; so give it a try and see if it helps.
>
> First download ffmpeg 5.1.2 from:
> https://ffmpeg.org/releases/ffmpeg-5.1.2.tar.bz2
>
> Then put it in a directory somewhere with the script and patch file.
> By default the script builds and installs ffmpeg and the docs in the
> current directory, under ./ffmpeg and ./ffmpeg-doc. You can easily
> edit the script to replace the system ffmpeg, if you want; then just
> run the script with 'sudo'.
>
> You'll undoubtedly have to install a number of different -dev packages
> of various needed libraries to complete the build, so just run the
> script, watch for 'configure' to fail with missing packages, then find
> and install the -dev version of what it's looking for.
>
> If you need to cross-build ffmpeg for a different CPU, the script can
> do that also; set environment variable TARGET="aarch64" or whatever.
>
> I do recommend to switching to SRT if you can, though, as it's much
> better than HLS in my experience.

Grüße / Kind regards,

Robin van der Linden