[FFmpeg-user] Size of 10-bit 4:2:2 video streams?

Tobias Rapp t.rapp at noa-archive.com
Tue Oct 4 12:04:21 EEST 2022

On 03/10/2022 09:40, Olivier Bruchez via ffmpeg-user wrote:
> On 21.09.22 19:06, Carl Zwanzig wrote:
>
>> On 9/21/2022 12:59 AM, Paul B Mahol wrote:
>>> It could be that index for frames in AVI is not listing all entries.
>>> Hard to guess.
>>> You could inspect file in some AVI file format analyzer.
>>> If there is such thing available.
>> In theory, avicodec will do it but it's quite old, same for vitrualdubmod
>> and gspot (http://www.headbands.com/gspot/), but then AVI format is also
>> quite old. I have used gspot before and it was useful, haven't tried
>> it for
>> this purpose.
>>
>> https://greshka.net/avicheck/ has some interesting suggestions, which
>> eventually land on.... "ffmpeg -v 5 -i FILE.avi -f null -" (decode to
>> null
>> output, turn up the error reporting.
>>
>> I'll echo Paul's thoughts that the AVI is somewhat corrupt, at least the
>> metadata is badly wrong. It's possible that by either poking the
>> metadata to
>> "correctness" or ignoring a lot of errors, usable video could be
>> pulled out.
>
> Thanks Marc, Paul, and onemda!
>
> I haven't had the time to do it, but I'll try those old tools. It they
> don't work, I'll even try to write some code to extract the missing
> frames. There must be a way to read them back!

If you know a bit about the AVI chunk structure, MediaTrace (which
basically is another output mode built into MediaInfo) could be an
option to debug your file: https://mediaarea.net/MediaTrace

Finally, depending on the amount of time you are willing to invest,
using a basic hex editor software for looking at the raw AVI file is
always a possibility once you have a rough idea at which file position
things are going wrong. Reading the binary RIFF chunk structure isn't
too hard if you know ASCII and hexadecimal numbers :)

Regards, Tobias