[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg on IMX8QM

Kévin L'hôpital kevin.lhopital at savoirfairelinux.com
Wed Oct 26 17:17:50 EEST 2022

Hi everyone,

I have an issue using ffmpeg and h264_v4l2m2m encoder/decoder with the IMX8QM.
I can encode and decode a file without error, but the output video is green when encoding and completely messy when decoding.
Here are the commands that I am using:
Encoding:

ffmpeg -f rawvideo -pix_fmt nv12 -s:v 1920x816 -framerate 30 -i my_file.yuv -c:v h264_v4l2m2m my_file.h264

Decoding:

ffmpeg -c:v h264_v4l2m2m -i my_file.h264 my_file.yuv

I also tested with the v4l2 codec of gstreamer and I can encode and decode without problem.

Do you have any idea of what could be the issue ?
Did someone has ever tested the hardware encoder/decoder of the IMX8QM with ffmpeg ?

I saw that the IMX8QM hardware decoder outputs a specific tiled format, that's maybe the reason why the output video is messy. But at least the encoder should be ok, right ?

I am using a linux-imx version 5.4 and ffmpeg version 5.1.1
I also tried the encoder/decoder drivers of the 5.15 imx kernel version with the same results.

Thanks,

Kévin L'hôpital
Free Software Consultant | Rennes, Fr
Savoir-faire Linux