[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg MP4/x264 output colours change when input source is different resolution (bug?)

Dan twinbee42 at skytopia.com
Thu Sep 15 13:10:46 EEST 2022

On Thu, 15 Sep 2022 10:40:10 +0100, Paul B Mahol <onemda at gmail.com> wrote:

> Looks like your knowledge is very limited, incorrect.

Of course it is! I said I was a beginner to ffmpeg and never pretended otherwise.
My expertise is in other areas (3D, C# programming, music etc.)

I never made any outright statements, always "maybe", or "Could there be".
In that last post, I also provided empirical data in the form of *four* different
media players. Perhaps I misunderstood showinfo's output. And?

> Next time be less so ignorant and do some research and do read
documentation and do your homework before coming here asking for
questions.

Please be less rude. I've spent multiple if not over a dozen hours on this whole
niche of a niche bug! I should NEVER have had to do this in the first place if the
format was properly implemented and interpreted. I'm merely an end user.
Frankly, I'm amazed at just how messy this situation is (and no, I'm not necessarily
blaming ffmpeg now).

 From what you claim, it looks like Chrome et al could indeed be at fault.
But there's something FUNDAMENTALLY wrong or miscommunicated with how
h264 or ffmpeg, or Chrome et al's interpretation is implemented, at least on
Windows, if things like this can surface.

So what do I do now. File a bug report to Chrome, Edge and the others?
Perhaps I could try filing a bug report with ffmpeg, or will it merely be ignored?

Also, where can I read more information about this mysterious and slippery bug,
so I can at least know a little more about its nature.

Dan