[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg MP4/x264 output colours change when input source is different resolution (bug?)

Michael Koch astroelectronic at t-online.de
Fri Sep 16 18:27:09 EEST 2022

Am 16.09.2022 um 16:51 schrieb Erik Dobberkau:

> Apart from width, height, PAR, DAR and SAR, bit depth and subsampling
> method, the color encoding parameters are responsible for the visual
> representation of an image: color space, primaries, white point, transfer
> function, color range, and color matrix (if something other than RGB
> encoding is used).

Is colorspace and color matrix not the same? If not, how can color
matrix be specified in the command line?
How can white point be specified in the command line?

I did specify -pix_fmt, -colorspace, -color_trc, -color_primaries and
-color_range. But that seems to be not sufficient. The color in VLC
player is different for height=576 and height=720.

ffmpeg -f lavfi -i color=0x19be0f:s=400x576 -pix_fmt yuv420p -colorspace
rgb -color_trc bt709 -color_primaries bt709 -color_range pc -crf 0
-vcodec libx264 -t 5 -y out1.mp4
ffmpeg -f lavfi -i color=0x19be0f:s=400x720 -pix_fmt yuv420p -colorspace
rgb -color_trc bt709 -color_primaries bt709 -color_range pc -crf 0
-vcodec libx264 -t 5 -y out2.mp4

Michael