[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg MP4/x264 output colours change when input source is different resolution (bug?)

Dan twinbee42 at skytopia.com
Fri Sep 16 18:27:20 EEST 2022

On Fri, 16 Sep 2022 15:51:22 +0100, Erik Dobberkau <erik.dobberkau at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thinking RGB would be the remedy for everything is simply a bit naive (no
> offense intended), because even RGB may (quite likely) not be one and the
> same in any given case.

No offense taken. I'm thinking in more of an ideal sense in the far future, where
monitors and TVs are a near commodity and calibrated to the same precise standard,
where memory and bandwidth issues are a relic of the past, where operating systems
too, agree on a unified colour space standard.

If I may be so brave, I think the colour format of the future could be something
as simple as 64 bit RGB (16 bits each for R, G, B, and A) to allow for great dynamic
contrast (super bright displays!). No conversion to and from YUV necessary, either for
the display device or for the h266 (well h292 by then!) compression. And no chroma
subsampling, haha.

Great for developers, video content creators, and end users alike. Everything
is compatible with everything else instantly.

Maybe I'm still naive, but that's the hope and the vision. Simplify everything
as much as can be, but no further.

Think of the time saved if nothing else ;)

Dan