[FFmpeg-user] Is there a way to determine the level of compression

Cecil Westerhof Cecil at decebal.nl
Mon Jun 5 15:48:34 EEST 2023

Bouke / Videotoolshed <bouke at videotoolshed.com> writes:

>> On 5 Jun 2023, at 11:59, Cecil Westerhof via ffmpeg-user <ffmpeg-user at ffmpeg.org> wrote:
>>
>>  I was told it was because the low quality of my videos. But
>> this file was significantly compressed. So I would expect slower to
>> compress better. Not the case: that creates a 365.3 MB file. So about
>> a third larger.
>>
>> <00007slower.log>
>
> Your input is interlaced and you probably want a progressive output.
> You did NOT de-interlace.
>
> That makes (when there is motion) it way more complicated, and it will look plain ugly.
> Try it with yadif or something else, see if that makes a difference.

That is new for me. I am now trying it out with also incorporating
'-vf yadif'. I will keep the group posted.

By the way: I do not see difference between the input file and the
generated output files. But then again: I am not a real video editor.

> Then, you also did not target QT player (-pix_fmt yuv420p IIRC)

In the past I also used that to make sure it works on a windows
computer. After the test with yadif I will incorporate that again.

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer