[FFmpeg-user] stereo upmix and matrix_encoding

Martin Thomas Schrott list at mtsonline.at
Fri Jun 16 16:52:29 EEST 2023

> That should not be needed at all.

yes, that is, what the documentation also said. I had -ac2 in front -
maybe this caused the problem. But I had thought this would tell, that
the original file has two channels - instead -ac2 in front of surround
tells surround to use two channels as output - not sure, if this is,
what -ac normally means :-/

> But only logs would show what really happens.

the logs did show me this ;-) i used --loglevel debug on ubuntu to get
more details on what happened.

As I read in the logs, that the output of surround was set to stereo I
got the idea that -ac 2 could cause it and changed it to -ac 6 - maybe
removing it would also have done the trick - but this way it should be
safe, even if the default changes :-)

Anyway - for me it is strange that -ac 2 does change the output of
surround - as surround has its own attributes to configure the output.