[Libav-user] How can we extract frames from a video stream in MPEG-4 AVC format

Amir Rouhi-Rmit amir.rouhi at rmit.edu.au
Thu Apr 7 01:53:41 CEST 2011

Hi

I would be pleased if somebody guide me how can I extract frames in I-Frame
format from a MPEG-4 AVC (H.264) video stream. The I-Frame can be:

A- Any selected frame which can be extracted in form of a 1 frame video
file. In this case the only frame of video should be in I-Frame.

B- Extracting real I-Frames that exist in a video stream in form of  1 frame
video files.

I found a method myself for type A, which is based on converting video to
RAW format by YUVTOOLS software(If somebody help me that how can I convert
the video to YUV or RGB by ffmpeg or any free software I would be pleased) ,
and then I select any frame by its number and extract it as a 1 frame video
which is in I-Frame format by JM software. As you have noticed , this method
is very costy and take a long time. I hope by help of you I find a method in
ffmpeg filters to do that.

Regards

Amir