[Libav-user] MPEG-2/H.264 decoding function

Robert Sitan lmodern at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 15 20:08:53 CEST 2011

Dear experts,

I need to decode (and export as jpg) H.264 and MPEG-2 I-pictures from within the source code of an application I'm writing in C. I linked against libavcodec in the hope that avcodec_decode_video() could do it but it seems that it only works for .mpg and not for raw elementary streams. I basically used the code from libavcodec's old apiexample.c (no AVPacket).

Using ffmpeg on the 2 samples provided, I can easily decode them:
ffmpeg -f h264 -i sample.264 -s 600x400 sample_%d.jpg
ffmpeg -f mpegvideo -i sample.mpeg2 -s 600x400 sample_%d.jpg

Can you please point out the function that I should use to achieve this using libavcodec?

Thanks.

Best regards,

Rob.

------