[Libav-user] FFMPEG windows issues (H.264 RTSP stream decoding)

Saurabh Gandhi saurabhg84 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 07:12:44 CEST 2011

Hello all,

I am a windows user (unfortunately) and am trying to use FFMPEG for decoding
H.264 based RTSP stream. I have downloaded the latest windows build
available on the FFMPEG website (http://hawkeye.arrozcru.org/) and am trying
to use ffplay.exe.

The problem is that the output is very much pixelated / distorted  when
there is some motion in the frame. The same stream when viewed using VLC
works perfectly fine. Another catch is that when I tried viewing the same
stream on ubuntu using FFMPEG itselg it works perfectly fine. What could be
the issue?

I tried running ffplay.exe on multiple hardware and software platforms which
include:

   1. i3 (4GB RAM) with Windows 7
   2. core 2 duo (1GB RAM) with windows xp
   3. intel xeon (2GB RAM) with windows server 2003

However the problem still persists. When on ubuntu, the problem does not
appear at all on all machines. I tried recompiling FFMPEG by self assuming
that it must be some issues related to the windows build supplied on the
FFMPEG site. However, even this fails to resolve the problem.

Are there any other windows users (read unfortunate) like me who have faced
/ found a workaround for this issue.
Awaiting your reply. Thank you.

P.S.: I was wondering how no one has complained of this issue? Has no one
out here tried using the latest ffplay.exe from the windows build of ffmpeg
for decoding H.264 based RTSP stream?

Another apprehension that I had is how come vlc player is able to get over
the issue on windows when vlc itself uses ffmpeg (upto the best of my
knowledge).

Troubled windows user,
Saurabh Gandhi

--