[Libav-user] Can't Open MJPEG Encoder

Tom Distler tom.distler at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 19:31:49 CEST 2011

> MJPEG works with full-range YUV formats that named as PIX_FMT_YUVJ420P,
> PIX_FMT_YUVJ422P.

That fixed it. Thx!

> Developers say that these formats are deprecated and special range flag
> should be used instead of dedicated pixel formats
> but I'm not sure that this is already done.

FYI: I set the color_range flag to AVCOL_RANGE_JPEG and pix_fmt to
PIX_FMT_NONE, and I still get the error. Also, keeping pix_fmt as
PIX_FMT_YUV420P still errors out. My version of ffmpeg is a few months
old, so that may have something to do with it. I'm probably just using
it wrong.