[Libav-user] FFmpeg libraries in Ubuntu

Diego Carvalho Domingos diego.cdomingos2010 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 18:44:07 CEST 2011

I had a lot of problems to compile codes that uses ffmpeg...After a
lot of attempts and search on the internet I created a script to do
the job, installing from the source (git repository). I don't know if
it is the best way (there are a lot of options to configure ffmpeg, I
just enabled the building of both static and dinamic libraries and
support for libx264). The script installs libx264, if you don't want
it just remove the lines of its installation.

#!/bin/bash
#script to install/update x264 and ffmpeg
#must run as root

#installing dependencies
apt-get install git-core yasm

cd /usr/local/src

#uninstalling previous installation
installed=0
if [ -d "x264" ]; then
	echo "uninstalling x264"
	cd x264
	make uninstall
	make distclean
	cd ..
	rm -R x264
	installed=1
fi

if [ -d "ffmpeg" ]; then
	echo "uninstalling ffmpeg"
	cd ffmpeg
	make uninstall
	make distclean
	cd ..
	rm -R ffmpeg
	installed=1
fi

if [ $installed -eq 1 ]; then
	echo "x264 and ffmpeg uninstalled"
else
	echo "x264 and ffmpeg were not installed"
fi

#installing x264
git clone git://git.videolan.org/x264.git
cd x264
./configure --enable-static --enable-shared
make
make install
cd ..

#installing ffmpeg
git clone git://git.videolan.org/ffmpeg
cd ffmpeg
./configure --enable-shared --enable-gpl --enable-version3
--enable-nonfree --enable-libx264
make
make install
cd ..