[Libav-user] Can't retrieve Sample Format

Goo Creations goocreations at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 14:34:55 CEST 2012

Hi all,

I've been stuck with this problem for a while now. When opening a file and
doing the following:

AVCodecContext *codecContext = NULL;
AVFormatContext *formatContext = NULL;
AVCodec *codec;

avformat_open_input(&formatContext, "a.flac", NULL, NULL);
int streamId = av_find_best_stream(formatContext, AVMEDIA_TYPE_AUDIO, -1,
-1, &codec, 0);
codecContext = formatContext->streams[streamId]->codec;

cout<<codecContext->sample_fmt<<endl;

It returns -1 (AV_SAMPLE_FMT_NONE). If I use the terminal tool (ffmpeg -i
a.flac) it says s32 under the stream info. So what am I doing wrong that my
code does not return the sample format? I can retrieve other info such as
the sample rate.

Thanks

Chris