[Libav-user] Speedup FFmpeg h264 Decoding on Android-Devices

Alex Cohn alexcohn at netvision.net.il
Sat Aug 4 17:52:53 CEST 2012

On Aug 4, 2012 5:22 PM, "Christian Brümmer" <christian.bruemmer at gmx.de>
wrote:

> For sure i first tried to use the Android MediaPlayer in combination with
a RTSP-Stream but it has a - not configurable - frame buffer which size
dependends of the rtsp fps. The result is a delay about 3-5 seconds which
is a known problem as i discovered.
> so for a real time video application your on your own..

You could directly call the built-in stagefreight avc decoder, this
approach does not introduce extra latency. But the number of instances is
limited - three or four, not more.

BR,
Alex Cohn

> But anyway i thought there might be a few lever (on the encoding system)
which i have to move to increase the decoding performance!

> What about the fast-decoding tune - how can i combine that with my zero
latency configuration?

> Am 04.08.2012 16:05, schrieb Michael Bradshaw:
>>
>> On Aug 4, 2012 6:11 AM, "Christian Brümmer" <christian.bruemmer at gmx.de>
wrote:

>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > i am using FFmpeg for H264 Decoding on an Android Device.
>>
>> Out of curiosity, is there a reason you aren't using Android's native
decoder? It may be more optimized for the device than FFmpeg too. Sorry I
don't know how to make FFmpeg faster.