[Libav-user] swscale speed

Jan Pohanka xhpohanka at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 14:16:47 CEST 2012

Hello,

what is the fastest settings for swscale? I'd like to use it on a small
embedded system (armv5) to downsample (decimate) or just to convert pixel
formats.

I have not checked the internals but it seems that swscale always do a lot
of processing because even if it does just pixel format conversion (no
scaling) for example from YUV420 to NV12 it takes really long.

In the case of scaling I have also not found a big difference while using
different interpolations (eg. SWS_BICUBIC vs SWS_POINT) and I think that
nearest neighbour should be significantly faster. Is there any
optimalization if only decimating (scaling with factor of 2^n) is
performed?

with best regards
Jan

http://www.opera.com/mail/