[Libav-user] Options to minimize decoder CPU use

Jason Livingston jettoblack at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 04:05:39 CET 2012

Hello,
When decoding MPEG-2 or H.264 video with lavc, what decoder flags or
options can I use to decode as quickly as possible?  I have zero
concern for the quality of the decoded picture (my application does
not even need the image), just as long as no frames are dropped or
skipped.

I see AVCodecContext has some options such as skip_idct and
skip_loop_filter, which I set to AVDISCARD_ALL, but at least for
MPEG-2 the decode is not significantly faster.  Are there any other
good options to use?

Thanks!