[Libav-user] How to perform drift compensation in MPEG-2 recorder

Mike Versteeg mike at mikeversteeg.com
Wed Dec 19 17:14:31 CET 2012

>> video PTS, at least for MPEG-2, increments as integer (0, 1, 2, ...)
>
> Oops, my bad... I lost your original requirement to be MPEG-2
> compliant. But maybe it would be enough to set REPEAT_FIRST_FIELD once
> in a while.

Thanks. I am not familiar with that. Won't that introduce a double
frame? And if that's a trick that works I assume it can only be used
to delay my video, what if I need to speed it up?

So other formats do support "true" time stamping? I have chosen MPEG-2
as my master for video recording as it is light on the CPU, compresses
well and is accepted by most editing software. If there is a similar
format that would solve my problem, I can look into using that. I was
not even aware MPEG-2 was stricter than other codecs.

Mike