[Libav-user] Getting to grips with ffmpeg

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Sun Feb 5 17:38:44 CET 2012

John Dexter <jdxsolutions at ...> writes:

> 2. I had some concerns reading about the legal side, GPL and LGPL. Our
> software is totally closed source and while we use LGPL libraries, it
> sounded like some parts of ffmpeg are GPL-only. Will this realistically
> affect me

It is your choice if you compile FFmpeg with support for GPL-parts
(which makes the whole library GPL and forbids linking against your
proprietary application) or without.
So only you know if it affects you or not.
(Or in other words: It will only affect you if you want H264 encoding
but are not willing to buy a commercial x264 license.)

Please consider reading the License Compliance Checklist on
http://ffmpeg.org/legal.html and if you think anything is not
clear on this page, please report!

Carl Eugen