[Libav-user] Getting to grips with ffmpeg

John Dexter jdxsolutions at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 18:40:28 CET 2012

> (Or in other words: It will only affect you if you want H264 encoding
> but are not willing to buy a commercial x264 license.)

Sorry, I need to ask about that in more detail after more thought. There
are 2 separate issues here it seems...

   1. Whether I can use ffmpeg libraries to encode H264 without making my
   entire application GPL?
   2. Whether I need to pay for a H264 license

Is the situation I can use ffmpeg L-GPL if I pay for a H264 license, but
without buying that license I can only use H264 for full GPL? Or am I
totally misunderstanding the situation?

John.