[Libav-user] Using ffmpeg.exe in a project (non-commercial)

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Thu Feb 23 22:16:03 CET 2012

John Dexter <jdxsolutions at ...> writes:

> On 23 February 2012 12:07, Phil Turmel <philip at ...> wrote:
> > Finally, whatever the legality, it is at least rude to hijack an open-
> > source app's website bandwidth to deliver source code to *your* users.
>
> Apart from the inherent problem of defining social etiquette within a
> legal contract... if I distribute ffmpeg.exe _un-modified_,  are the
> users MY users or ffmpeg's users? If I _don't_ distribute it but tell
> users they need to download it, then who is responsible?

You have to tell them where they can download the exact sources you
used to compile ffmpeg.exe - therefore you have to provide the source on
your own download server, because this is the only way to make sure the
sources are really available.

If your installer installs ffmpeg.exe on the user's computer, do not
forget to inform your users (in your EULA) that you are installing
FFmpeg, that FFmpeg is released under the GPL and where to find the
authors of FFmpeg (and repeat that for all other projects that you
use, like for example x264).

Note that all requirements you have to follow make absolutely no
difference between commercial and non-commercial projects.

Carl Eugen