[Libav-user] Why does av_seek_frame() not seek to a keyframe?

Michael Bradshaw mbradshaw at sorensonmedia.com
Mon Jul 23 21:10:10 CEST 2012

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 12:50 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:
> [...]
> You are probably right, I assumed that from a users' perspective,
> the only relevant question is if above command line returns a gray
> frame or the next keyframe.

Ah, I see. I think that's where the confusion is coming from. I think
that that behavior is OK (well, we all want better seeking
functionality eventually, but for the time being it's currently OK
enough), provided it's clearly documented. The way it is currently
documented, I thought av_seek_frame() would seek to an actual keyframe
("Seek to the keyframe at timestamp."). Personally, I think it should
at least be stated that it may seek to a non keyframe for some
formats/streams.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Michael