[Libav-user] Segfault on corrupted video

Tim Pitman tapitman11 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 01:58:57 CEST 2012

Alrighty,

I was relying on the return value from avcodec_decode_video2.
Basically I assumed that if it was > 0 then the picture was valid.
However, I was curious about what got_picture was for so if changed:

if (ret > 0)

if (ret > 0 && got_picture)

It no longer crashes, but instead seems to freeze for a few seconds,
which is definitely a big step in the right direction.

What is the difference between the return value and got_picture?

Thanks,
Tim