[Libav-user] Is there any mpeg2 decoder in libstagefright

Alex Cohn alexcohn at netvision.net.il
Wed Mar 21 10:02:50 CET 2012

On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 05:44, justin <justin.zhang at dediprog.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
> I have already compiled the 0.10 ffmpeg and using this lib in my android
> project.
> It's known that the libstagefright can support H.264 decoding right now. But
> I wonder whether there is a way make libstagefright also decode MPEG-2
> video.
>
> Thanks!
> --
> justin

In Android, libstagefright provides software and hardware decoders.
The software decoders (for v.0, ICS) support:

MEDIA_MIMETYPE_VIDEO_MPEG4, MEDIA_MIMETYPE_VIDEO_H263,
MEDIA_MIMETYPE_VIDEO_AVC, MEDIA_MIMETYPE_VIDEO_VPX.

The hardware decoders may deal with other video types, but they depend
on the specific hardware. For example, some devices based on the Tegra
chip may have OMX.Nvidia.mpeg2v.decode that supports
MEDIA_MIMETYPE_VIDEO_MPEG2.

BR,
Alex