[Libav-user] Switching codecs from encode to playback on the fly

Alex Cohn alexcohn at netvision.net.il
Sun May 6 06:16:44 CEST 2012

On May 6, 2012 6:28 AM, "Bruce Wheaton" <bruce at spearmorgan.com> wrote:

> Is it possible to open codecs for encoding, and use them to encode a
complete piece, then, on the fly (when the complete clip had already been
encoded) switch over and use them to decompress the same media?

> I'm flexible on which codecs, although I like MP4 for being LGPL and good
at multi-threading.

> Bruce

To the best of my knowledge, encoders and decoders are completely separate.
But nothing can prevent you from creating both at initialization time, and
using the encoder or decoder whenever you need that.
BR,
Alex