[Libav-user] AVFilter overlay transparent image onto another transparent image

Bryan Stewart bstewart at ais-sim.com
Mon May 14 20:18:06 CEST 2012

ffmpeg/libav version from git-1eabd71 windows build dated: 3/25/2012

I am trying to merge two transparent images onto one another using the
avfilter overlay:

ffmpeg -i a.png -vf movie=a.png, transpose=1 [inA]; [in] [inA] overlay [out]

a.png has alpha in the image.

When I run, the main image is always converted to yuv420p (no alpha)
while the overlay image remains a yuva420p image.  I have tried to
insert the format filter in front, back, etc to the source image, but
the filter graph still inserts an extra scale filter to force the main
image to be a yuv420p (no alpha) image.

The resulting image always has the background as my image without alpha
and the overlay image has alpha.

Is there a way to get the main overlay image to remain an alpha image?

--
#-----------------------------------------------------------------#
#  Bryan C. Stewart                   Email: bstewart at ais-sim.com #

*
*
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
----------------------
This message, together with any attachments, may be legally
privileged and is confidential information intended only for
the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed.
It is exempt from disclosure under applicable law including
court orders. If you are not the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or
copy of this message, or any attachment, is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please
notify the original sender and delete this message, along with
any attachments, from your computer.
In addition, Data contained in this email may be subject to the
International Traffic in Arms Regulation (ITAR) or the Export
Administration Regulation (EAR) of 1979. Regulated data may not
be exported, released, or disclosed to foreign nationals inside
or outside the United States without obtaining the prior
written approval of Advanced Interactive Systems, Inc. and
licenses as required by the U.S. Department of State.