[Libav-user] when to call av_register_all()

Nicolas George nicolas.george at normalesup.org
Thu Nov 15 20:01:03 CET 2012

Le quintidi 25 brumaire, an CCXXI, Roman Ryltsov a écrit :
> Because you never know (unless you have intimate knowledge of internals)
> whether it is just freeing the resources in use, or it also flushes data
> and takes certain completing steps which are absolutely necessary. Graceful

You can also read the docs. They usually specify it, and if they do not,
they should. The name of the function could be a hint too: av_free() is
unlikely to perform any flushing.

> closing is always a good thing to do, FFmpeg is hardly an exception.

"good" != "necessary"; I already acknowledged that it was good practice, but
I stand on my point that it is not absolutely necessary.

> On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 8:05 PM, Nicolas George <
> nicolas.george-t+5nXNeJE7o5viHyz3+zKA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

Please do not top-post here (bis).

Regards,

--